Wisconsin Family Law Firm | Different Types of Family Law

The field of family law is made up of a wide variety of services related to the family. It is common for people to believe that family lawyers only handle divorces, but in reality, they handle a wide range of cases, including the formation of families and the dissolution of them.

In many cases, it is in your best interest to work with a lawyer if you are planning a divorce, adopting a child, or enforcing child support orders. A Wisconsin family law firm can assist you with your case. 

Some of the types of cases handled by family lawyers are listed below.

Dissolution of Marriage – A marriage can be dissolved either through divorce or annulment. As well as giving orders about the property, child custody, and alimony, the court can grant a legal separation and grant a divorce.

Child Custody – In a paternity or child custody case, the court determines the child’s paternity in order to establish the custody schedule, visitation schedule, and child support.

Domestic Violence  – Domestic violence cases may petition the family court for a restraining order against the abuser. Those who have been victims of domestic violence can seek a restraining order. A restraining order restricts your contact with the violent person. Consequently, the other party faces an arrest if they violate the order.

Deciding the Guardian – A guardian is someone who is responsible for making medical, financial, and personal decisions about a child or adult who cannot care for themselves. Family courts decide who is responsible for them who aren’t legally capable of making decisions for themselves

The law of adoption – The adoption of children is one of the most significant branches of family law. States in the US have very specific laws regarding adoptions. You are required to understand and comply with all of the requirements if you want to adopt a child. A family law attorney can assist parents with the adoption process. Their job is to explain the requirements and make sure all of the paperwork is filled out properly. By doing so, they can speed up the process and improve the likelihood of success.

Changing of the name – By filing a name change case at the family court, a child or an adult may legally change their name. 

Matters of the Juvenille – Whenever there are allegations of child abuse, child neglect, or when minors are accused of engaging in illegal activity, the family court handles those cases. Most of these cases are handled by the District Attorney’s Juvenile Division. Additionally, the family court can issue work permits to minors under the age of 14. 

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button